Why Are Aptations’ Mirrors Better…
You simply look better after you’ve seen yourself in an Aptations mirror!
Let’s start with the most important thing…..the glass.
All glass is not created equal. The glass that Aptations uses to make all of the mirrors they offer is of very high quality, sourced from the most discerning glass suppliers in the world. This ensures that the magnified mirrors will be distortion-free and you will be able to see yourself magnified without any weird waves in the glass. This also ensures that the frosting that lets the light shine through will be uniform and your mirror won’t have any spots where the light is brighter or dimmer.
While we’re talking about glass, let’s talk about “desilvering.” This is the process that happens when older mirrors–and some that aren’t all that old–begin to turn black and streaky around the edges. This happens when the reflective material that has been applied to the back of the glass comes into contact with moisture. The glass that Aptations uses in our mirrors is protected from this moisture by two things. First, the reflective material is coated with a layer of paint that helps protect it from moisture. Then the glass is inserted into the frame and held in place with silicone glue, which, among its other functions, protects the edges from moisture. It is very rare for the reflective material on Aptations’ mirrors to desilver but if it does, you can count on our 3 year warranty.
Next….the Metal Frame and Body of the Mirror
The next most important thing is the metal surrounding the mirror. Because these mirrors are being used in a damp room, the metal is susceptible to rusting. Aptations mirrors are better so that is why the mirrors that we offer go through several plating processes. First, the metal is plated in brass to protect it from moisture. Next comes a nickel plating that forms a hard smooth surface. Next comes the “pretty” finish: we offer mirrors in chrome, brushed nickel, polished nickel, Italian bronze, brushed brass and our newest offering….rose gold. Finally, a protective lacquer is applied to keep the mirror looking beautiful for years to come.
Let’s Talk About Electrical
October 2007 was a really big month for us! That was when we introduced the first LED Lighted Magnified Makeup Mirrors into our collections. In less than 10 years, the LED revolution has swept across the globe and through our product mix. In 2007, we were considered revolutionary because we were adding a few LED lighted mirrors to our offering. In 2016, all of the lighted mirrors in our collection use LEDs. Because of LEDs…..
- We can offer any of our lighted mirrors in both warm white light and cool white light, allowing the end-user to have the color of light they prefer.
- The mirrors–both the large vanity mirrors in the Sergeña collection and the magnified make-up mirrors in the Kimball & Young collection–use a fraction of the power that the old incandescent and fluorescent mirrors used. Saving money…..saving the planet.
- Because the LED’s are low voltage, we can offer a battery operated mirror with a rechargeable battery. 3 hours plugged in to charge and you have 3 hours of bright LED light. Now you can have a wall mounted lighted mirror without either an electrician or messy cords. And you can have a bright lighted freestanding mirror that you can move anywhere you need it.
Q: The mirror I have now is 15X magnification but most of your mirrors are 5X magnification….or lower. Why don’t you offer higher magnification?
A: Magnification of mirrors is not something that is regulated so a mirror company can say that the magnification is whatever they think will sell. We feel pretty strongly about telling the truth so you can count on us to give you a 5X magnified mirror when we tell you that is the magnification. The “other guys” regularly give you a 5X magnification wrapped up in 15X – or even 20X – packaging.
Q: How can I tell if a mirror really is a 5X or not?
A: When a mirror has a higher magnification, you need to be closer to it to be in focus. For example, to see yourself in focus in a 5X mirror, you will need to be within 5″ – 7″ of the lens. To be in focus using one of our 10X mirrors, you will need to be approximately 3″ from the lens.
Q: Can I get one of your contemporary styled square or rectangular mirrors in a 5X? You only seem to carry them in 3X.
A: Correct – we only offer our square and rectangular mirrors in 3X. We want to be sure that there is no distortion in the corners of the mirrors.
Q: Why would there be distortion in the corners of a mirror that isn’t round?
A: Mirrors become magnified when you bend the glass into the shape of a shallow bowl. If you want higher magnification, you make that bend deeper. Imagine putting a rectangular piece of paper into a bowl. The corners start to crease so that it fits. When you do that with glass, the “crease” becomes distortion. Aptations mirrors are better so we only sell distortion-free mirrors so we don’t offer mirrors with corners in magnifications that are higher than 3X.
Different Light Colors Can Be So Confusing!!
Q: You offer different light colors–warm white and cool white. Which one is better?
A: The color that is better is the one that you prefer. If you like the traditional yellowish color of a conventional incandescent lamp, then you will probably prefer a warm white light. If your personal taste leans more toward a modern, crisp look, then you will probably prefer the cooler white light color. That is why we offer most of our LED lighted mirrors with both a warm and cool light color.
Q: What is the difference between warm white light and cool white light color?
A: Color “temperature” is based on the Kelvin scale that measures how the color of metal changes as it is heated, changing from red to yellow to blue. This same range has become helpful in describing the color tint of white light. Warm white light is typically found on the red/yellow end of this scale and cool white light is found on the blue end of this scale.
Q: What if I like both warm and cool light color?
A: Bonus – We have 2 answers to this question!
- Our double-sided magnified mirror and single-sided round magnified mirror are available with switchable light color. The on/off switch also allows you to change from warm to cool white light color in the same magnified makeup mirrors…..or…..
- Mix and match them light colors the same way you would other parts of your decor. There is no reason why you could not have a mixture of colors in the same room. For example, you might want a back-lit vanity mirror with a warm white light that helps light the entire bathroom while your magnified make-up mirror has a cool white light to help you with detailed grooming tasks.